Wednesday 13 July 2011

Training 4.15

8 weeks ... to my holidays

Even though we turned up early to train, the field we use was already jam packed with football teams all in pre-season training. One group was the local Ladies football team who were playing a game of 6 (7?) aside in one quadrant of the football field we warm up and down around. Tonight they provided 2 moments of light relief and neither were intentional...

The first came as the coach took the goalkeeper to one side and decided to "coach" her on taking goal kicks. I've never coached footballers but I have coached referees and in my day job I successfully coached sales teams to over achieve against sales targets. When I heard the coach say to the player, "What are you doing wrong?" the poor girl looked bemused and to be honest so would I if I was trying something new for the first time. The coach then went on to get the girl to demonstrate what she was doing, seemed to be asking her to consider other options and then let her practice a little but it seemed an odd way to start a session.

The second amusing event came as we were on a rest period and the team kicked the ball into a forest of nettles and thistles. Paul and I tried to retrieve it and eventually did but not before we both got stung ... so much for our show of chivalry! Our own fault I suppose.

Tonight's session was intended to help our recovery from work and with little room in which to work, Paul suggested we did the run from the goal line to the penalty area and back, to the halfway line and back, to the far end of the field and back ... far, middle and near. These runs were taking about 2 minutes and we have previously taken 1 minute rests in between. They were too similar in duration and rest period to Training 4.13 and 4.14, so I suggested a shorter run and rest period.

We settled on running from the goal line to the opposite goal line and back to the halfway line before walking back to our original start point. We did 3 Sets of 6 and each of the first runs were all around 37s but they stretched to 44-45s on runs 2-4, before the last couple in each Set came in around 43s. In between Set one and two we had a 5 minute rest (partially because we were engaged in the noble ball rescue) and between Set two and three we had a 3 1/2 minute rest.

It was a decent session and one we'll probably use again and measure how low we can get the time for the runs, with a view to increasing to 4 Sets of 6 or 3 Sets of 8 runs. I'm training on my own again on Friday so I'll probably settle for 3 runs of 12 minutes with 5 minute rests in between. Before then I've got to deliver a session on handball at the County FA's first 6-5 promotion seminar of the season!

Calories 895, average heart rate 80% (but maximum 98%!!!). Click the pic for a larger version

No comments: