Sunday 25 November 2012

Sub ref please?

The blog took a few weeks off after a busy few weekends saw some games which came under the scrutiny of the County FA.

I was back in action with a Sunday League game after the original plan of assessing a promotion candidate fell by the wayside when he was rostered to work this weekend. The original referee for the game I did, had closed the weekend and the appointments secretary asked me to look after it. The only problem was that he had already made arrangements for another referee to cover it. I offered to go home but the other referee insisted I stay and within 15 minutes I needed a substitute as my calf gave way after yet another trudge through a muddy patch (14, 472nd this season).

I managed to keep going until the end of the game but not before having to deal with a few incidents, which again will be looked after by the County FA. As for me, my calf is sore and I'll be out until at least Christmas but I have two Sundays booked out for a new referee course in Leeds over December 2 and 9.

Hope everyone's season is shaping up nicely, challenging games are being received and effectively managed. If things aren't going well for you, why is that? Is it fitness, positioning, decision making or just plain old failure to apply law correctly (and as expected)?

No comments: