Sunday 22 September 2013

Much better

Having eased myself through last week's emergency outing in a Sunday League game and a planned junior game in the afternoon, I stepped out this morning with a little more confidence about my return to match fitness. The unexpected calf injury 6 weeks ago spoilt my early season run outs but today I felt stronger and as a result put in two decent performances.

The first was a bottom division Sunday League game between two teams new to the league. The home team's Secretary used to regularly feature in the County FA's disciplinary list and the away team started their season with having two players sent off in the first round of games of the new season. Despite the warm weather, tempers did not become frayed, players competed fairly and I managed to get around the field pretty well. I found myself keeping close to play or at least in line with it as the game progressed. It was a high scoring affair with the away team squeezing out a 6-4 victory. One caution, lots of handshakes and a smattering of suntan from the bright sunshine throughout the game.

The second was a bottom division (in their age group) junior league game between two teams in the closest city to home. The game was taking place across the park from where I spent my early 20's turning out for the local rugby league team before injury curtailed my career. The coaches were very cordial, the players competitive but fair and the supporters well behaved apart from one or two comments about offside decisions. I set myself a target for the second half of this game to run further and work harder than I had in the first half. I managed it but not by much (around 200m and 25 calories). I still achieved it and with no game next week because of work commitments, I can rest up now until training on Wednesday week. My next games are both on County Cup duty in Huddersfield in 2 weeks - can't wait!

I do have to report that despite doing a full warmdown after each game, I have just had a major attack of cramp in my left hamstring - ouch! I'm ok though, dancing around the conservatory cursing seems as effective at clearing cramp as it did 5 years ago when I used to suffer from it a lot!!!

No comments: